Monday, April 19, 2010

My Easter Flight

On Easter Day, my parents and I flew out to St. Louis.  We left Indianapolis Metro (KUMP) at about 0715 Eastern.  The skies were clear and the winds aloft were about 25 kts on the nose.  We were in the Cessna 182, so our ground speed was still around 120 kts.   The first hour and 30 minutes were not very exciting, climbing up to 8500' using the KAP 140.  We used the GPS and followed it in to St. Louis via the STL VOR.  During the decent we passed right in front of the active runways at KSTL.  We got to see a regional jet taking off and then continuing over the top of us.  Neat to see from that perspective.

Easter was great.  We had Ribs and Chicken Marsala and other delicious foods.  I got to see my cousin Ryan, my step cousin Megan, my Aunt Sara, my Step-Uncle Grant and my Grandparents.  it was a neat little Easter.  I can't remember the last time I've seen the Aunt and Step-Uncle.  They all wanted to go up and fly with me, but it was really really windy on the ground.  In fact, the winds at take-off were 18 kts gusting to 23.  They were about 50 degrees off runway heading which, for those of you playing along at home equates to a 13.7 knot crosswind.  The Max demonstrated in a 182 is 15 kts.

dAnyway, we took off and headed south around KSTL.  We went about 2 miles north of the St. Louis arch and engaged the KAP 140 to take us back to 7500'.  We got a hefty tailwind and our ground speed was nearing 175 kts.  On the decent into Indianapolis, we hit 178 kts, which is quite impressive for a Skylane.  But, ground speed isn't a good measure when you aren't actually attached to the ground.  I made a pretty good landing at KUMP given the 15+kt winds on the ground and made the realization that I had officially been the pilot of an airplane going over 200 mph.  But only ground speed, with a 30 kt tail wind.  Whatever, I'll take it.  Bring it on Mooney Acclaim.

No comments:

Post a Comment